1 January – 31 August 2022
In the EPEKA Association, we started implementing a program that raises awareness of the Roma community about a healthy lifestyle.
The program promotes awareness of a healthy lifestyle, diet and the importance of exercise in everyday life. An unhealthy lifestyle affects many facets of our lives and has consequences at the level of the whole country, not only the Roma population (chronic diseases, difficulties in integrating into the local environment, burdening the health system, more difficult integration into the labor market).
Regular sport activities strengthens the functioning of the cardiovascular system, reduces the possibility of heart disease, chronic problems with high blood pressure, diabetes, problems with high cholesterol, intestinal and breast cancer, and osteoporosis. At the same time, it helps maintain an appropriate weight and increase physical fitness. However, the positive effects of regular sports activity don’t end with things that are noticeable on the body – children, adolescents, adults and the elderly can significantly improve their mental health and mental abilities through exercise and with knowledge of a healthy lifestyle. Research shows that regular physical activity is very effective in reducing stress levels, reducing the chances of developing depression and improving mood, as well as helping to improve sleep and better ability to concentrate. Health promotion and protection has been one of the priority areas at the national level for some time now. At a time when we are facing the consequences of a pandemic that has pushed already segregated communities even further to the margins, it is necessary to address even more intensely the possibilities that a healthy lifestyle brings at the level of the entire country.
As part of the program funded by the Municipality of Maribor, we offer members of the Roma community:
– information on healthy lifestyles and key risk factors for chronic diseases and conditions in the population (smoking, risky and harmful alcohol use, lack of exercise, obesity and unbalanced diet);
– education on sports activities, the importance of movement, alternative recreational opportunities,
– preparation for intensive sports activity,
– information on adequate readiness for intensive activities (departure for a hike – inspection of the route, acquisition of appropriate equipment, possibilities for overnight stays),
– regular physical activity (yoga, hiking in the surrounding hills, preparation).
The Association EPEKA, Soc. Ent., is supported by: