Representatives of the Assocation EPEKA, Soc. Ent., will attend an exchange on raising awareness on refugee and migrant issues among European youth.
Every year thousands of people are forced to flee their countries because of conflicts, persecution and extreme poverty. The social inclusion and integration of these people represents one of the major challenges for the EU nowadays.
The objective of the Youth Exchange “YOU ART ME-Creating new narratives” is to raise awarness among young people on the migrants situation in Europe, by offering an opportunity to reflect on how the migration phenomenon is narrated nowadays. The main idea is to use Art to prevent and challenge hate speech against migrants and refugees. Young people, through their creativity and ideas, will create a mural campaign by using recycled materials as a mean to counter anti-migrants narratives.
The project, organised by Viaje a la Sostenibilidad, will take place in Artmosfera, an artistic residence in the rural area of Aragon (Spain), during April 2022.
It will last 9 days and it will involve 25 young people (4 participants + group leader) aged 18-30 from Italy, Spain Greece, Slovenia and Germany. Participants involved in this project will be youth with a migrant or refugee background that are facing social exclusion, and young people working with marginalized groups in their local communities.
With the implementation of various workshops, non formal and artistic activities young people from diverse backgrounds and cultures will have the opportunity to collaborate, break down stereotypes and question erroneous cultural beliefs ingrained in our society.
The main objectives of the youth exchange are:
– Raise awareness about migrants situation
– Promote diversity and tolerance, by encouraging intercultural dialogue
– Ensure the empowerment of disadvantaged young people with migrant background
– Promote European values of respect and solidarity in order to build inclusive societies
– Incentive social behavioural change of the participants
– Using ART to change the current narratives towards migrants and refugees
– Improve participants’ language skills
Project number: 2021-1-ES02-KA152-YOU-000010347
The Association EPEKA, Soc. Ent., is supported by: